Monday, August 19, 2024

Jollof Rice and Peanut Soup (5.26.24)

Jonny was surprised at how good the peanut soup tasted.  On May 26, 2024, I treated my family to a West African dinner.  It was definitely exotic, but I always say that my international dinners are Americanized--sometimes too much so.  I use only half as much fish sauce as Southeast Asian recipes call for, and less than half as many chiles as in any recipe from India or Africa.  Still, it is one of my weekly delights to haul out table runners and posters for each country on which I am focusing, mix up some local specialties, and then have family members share memories or photos of that country.  

Heidi is a great cook herself, and gives suggestions on how I can make the next iteration of that country's cuisine even better.  She recently shared her favorite version of the British favorite, sticky toffee pudding.
Jenny shares her cute boys with us each week, from 10-year-old Sam, who is wiser than his age, to little J, who uses all his two-year-old charm and muscle to run with his big brothers.  It is a treat to have them visit.
After dinner and Michael's photos of the West African trip he took with Dave and me last fall, we sat on the back porch, roasting marshmallows in the warm, early summer evening.
Jonny concentrated on creating truly superior roasted marshmallows.
Audrey danced in her Mexican dress which matched her mom's, and Thomas stared gravely into the camera.

No comments: