I know that I am, heart and soul, a "Westerner". I was born and raised in the Western United States, and I expect to die and be buried there. But I'm not so sure I know what being a "Westerner" means. As I drive the interstates from Utah east, I always ask myself that question, including what myths and icons Westerners have adopted, and where the West begins and ends. On June 8 and 9, 2024, Dave and I dashed along I-80 to Lincoln, Nebraska, where we turned south into Missouri. When I expected to retire fulltime, I thought I'd enjoy accepting free timeshare promotions, and we scheduled one in Branson, Missouri. I quickly had second thoughts! Our first stop on the trip was Little America, in the middle of Wyoming. Dave and I each bought 75 cent ice cream cones. It was a deal, even though the original price was 10 cents.
A swath of inland North America, from Utah to Alberta, Canada, was once a great inland sea. It is a prime area for discovering dinosaur bones, from creatures who died on the edge of the sea and were preserved in the mud. Years ago, I represented a company that unearthed dinosaur bones and assembled them into displays for museums. I wrote the contract that sold a dinosaur skeleton to a Japanese museum for $500,000!We spent the first night of our trip in Cheyenne, Wyoming, with a stop at the Wyoming State Museum. That was a great place to see what Westerners think represents them. And Wyoming is clearly the West. My grandson, Michael Flindt, spent his LDS mission in Wyoming and Colorado, including helping out at the Cheyenne Rodeo as community service. I told Michael that experience made him more of a Westerner than all the rest of us! I offered to fix him a Sunday dinner with Western foods from his mission. He suggested deer meat and home-canned fruits and vegetables, since that's what many people in rural Wyoming live on. The only deer meat I could find in SLC's grocery stores was sold as dog food!
There was a sculpture park around the museum, with plaques telling the stories the sculptures represent. The Martin brothers were cornered by Indians near Kearny in 1864. The teenagers were hit by four arrows as they tried to outrun the Cheyenne and Sioux warriors. They fell off their horse, linked together by an arrow, and played dead. The warriors left and the two brothers lived to tell the tale, one surviving until 1927.The Indians depended on buffalo for food, tents, and most other necessities of life. In the 1870s and 1880s, whites from the military and back East killed off the buffalo and pushed the Indians onto reservations. Buffalo are used, over and over, as a symbol of the West. I will never forget a huge, gorgeous painting of a buffalo in a snow storm which is a treasure of the National Wildlife Museum in Jackson, Wyoming.Another icon of the West is the mountain man. The first white explorers of the West were fur traders, who reputedly looked like this fellow at the museum. I asked if he'd pose for me and he replied, "Yep, but I ain't gonna smile."
The first highway connecting East and West was the Lincoln Highway, built in 1919. Dwight Eisenhower supervised its construction, long before he became president in 1953 and supervised the creation of an interstate highway system. Dave has always been interested in the Lincoln Highway, which goes through Utah. Jonny has recommended a new novel to me, titled the "Lincoln Highway."
After our stop at Kearny, we got back on I-80 and traveled to Lincoln, Nebraska, for the night. Somewhere in eastern Nebraska, the West ends and the Midwest begins (I think!).This sign from Kearny shows both Western and Midwestern icons. It advertises "Native Prairie Plants" and warns, "Please watch for deer and antelope at play. I think of the "prairie" as in the Midwest, although I'm sure others disagree. Deer and antelope are, for sure, Western creatures!
.jpg)


.jpg)
.jpg)


.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment