When my grandson Henry came to dinner on Easter Sunday, April 20, 2025, he asked me, as he surveyed the buffet table, "What's this all about?" I assumed he meant, "What is the theme of this dinner?" since I always have a theme. I said it was a traditional Easter dinner, celebrating Jesus rising from death, and that I included some of Grandma Rose's traditional dishes. I told Henry to check out the knives and forks on the tables, which were made of silver, instead of our usual stainless steel, and to look at the glasses which were made of crystal, and the tablecloths which were yellow for spring and embroidered to be fancy for Easter.I laid out Ukrainian Easter eggs in the entry way, and my Easter sign that said, "It's not about the bunny; it's about the Lamb." Henry nodded solemnly.Calder loves chocolate Lindt candies, which Dave and I set out at Christmastime. I laughed, last Christmas, as I watched Calder, who wasn't tall enough to actually reach the candies, straining his whole little body to get his hand inside the bowl. I told Dave that we needed to keep that bowl of chocolates all year so they would be there for Calder. I asked Heidi on Easter Sunday if Calder got some candies, and she agreed that, "Calder got more than he needed."My guests included Jonny's family, Mike's family, and Shauna, wife of Dave's brother, Alan. Scott and Liz Calder dropped by after eating dinner with other family members. They said they were completely full, but Scott later teased Liz about having a whole plate full of food. Liz excused herself by saying that she just had to try Grandma Calder's yams with apples and consomme rice, and that the salad certainly didn't add any calories! Scott and Liz are beloved guests, who occasionally join us.My mother's typical Easter dinner included baked ham, consomme rice, and yams with apples.
I made my very best dessert for this special day--lemon cheesecake with blueberry sauce.I prepared for Easter by attending "Lamb of God", an oratorio written by a local Utahn and performed by the University of Utah LDS Institute of Religion Choir. Every seat in the huge hall was taken and the performance was very moving. Attending "Lamb of God" each Easter may become one of my new traditions.
Tuesday, July 22, 2025
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment