“What shall we do on our last day on the Gulf Coast?” I asked David. “I like outdoor things,” he said, as I suggested a science center and some art museums. I couldn’t figure what he meant, since he had turned down kayaking and sitting on the beach. “How about another swamp tour?” David asked, and I quickly agreed.
The swamp tour we chose was with the same tour operator we hired when we were in New Orleans a year ago, and to the same Honey Swamp. Each swamp tour is delightfully different, though, since the guides and animals constantly change.We passed under a picturesque drawbridge.
As we motored down the swamp, we passed houses on stilts, to avoid flood damage from hurricanes like Katrina.
Many of the homes had a shrimp boat anchored nearby.
This house was a casualty of Katrina.
Our guide today was particularly knowledgeable. He led us to a spot where two raccoons crawled up a bush to reach the food which he held out.
On the way, we passed cypress trees with markers showing how high the swamp had once risen.

The guide was careful to feed the hog but not
the crocodiles at that spot, since he didn’t want the crocodiles to associate
getting fed with that place. “The hog
can fight them off with her hooves,” he said, “but if they get used to eating
right here, the crocodiles may catch her when she’s not looking.” The guide knew, from visiting the swamp
regularly, that the hog had a new littler of piglets, hidden on high ground
where the crocodiles were unlikely to catch them.
We had one last fish dinner at Shaggy’s Biloxi Beach. This was David’s favorite restaurant of the
trip. It had a bright, beach vibe, with
big platters of shrimp, in various forms.
I eat shrimp and grits wherever I find it.




















No comments:
Post a Comment