I was lucky to choose Lori Tolbert as our caterer. She not only fixed luscious food, including bringing chefs to the reception to grill and stir-fry in huge woks as the guests arrived. She also acted as a wedding planner. She helped Camille (my major advisor and helper) and me decide on a theme for the reception ("He searched the whole world...and found her in Axtell, Utah"). And she helped us carry out that theme in our food, signs, and decorations (Asian with Utah accents).
Above: choices from Lori's website. Below: How it turned out at Mike and Heidi's reception.
"You've got to have an ice cream station with homemade ice cream," Lori said, and Camille and I made it happen. Camille made the strawberry ice cream and I made the chocolate hazelnut, mandarin orange, and coconut. There were 13 gallons in all, frozen solid in our freezers three weeks before the reception. Lori provided the cones, dipped in three varieties of chocolate.
My neighbor ladies shared their large-size ice cream freezers. Nancy Monson had the largest freezer, but Robyn Petty's was most efficient. I sat in the garage as it churned out one gallon after another.
Camille and I also made 900 cookies. I made the mint brownies and lemon bars, and Camille made the gingersnaps. I waited till the last minute to make the brownies, so they'd be fresh. Robyn spent the afternoon before the reception with me, frosting brownies and slicing lemon bars. Wayne and Robyn stayed after the reception, making quick work of cleaning up all the mess.
I hunted through dozens of websites, searching for the perfect Japanese lantern. Luna Bazaar had dozens of styles and colors to choose from.
It was a challenge to find the right shade of blue to match our royal blue table toppers. Cobalt? Marine? There was no "royal blue." I ordered one box of lanterns, discovered they were too greenish rather than purplish, and sent them back.
The result, after my good friend and florist, Julie Monson, tied ribbons to the lanterns.
The online choices of tablecloths and table toppers were cheap and endless. I bought eighteen 120" round white tablecloths and eighteen royal blue table toppers, because it was cheaper to buy than rent. I stashed them away for grandchildren's receptions in the years to come.
I love blue and white Chinese vases, and I collected eleven of them for the tables at Mike's and Heidi's reception. They, too, will be a treasure used at many future parties.
Julie filled each vase with a unique floral arrangement, and the result was spectacular!
Emilie, Annelise, Sophie, and Mia Ebert were my servers, who picked up used plates from the tables. They needed uniforms! I found some charming Japanese print fabric online and had my Iraqi tailor at Elegant Alterations make aprons.
We needed a CD with Mike's photographs of his travels, and huge photos of the bride and groom to arrange around the reception. I haunted Inkleys. When I asked about international music to accompany the CD of Mike's photos, the clerk suggested a Bar Mitzvah musical track. Great! That wasn't available, so we settled on Caribbean beach music instead. Whatever.
The result:
I prepared posters labeled "The Trail," which told about Mike and Heidi's lives in the years before their marriage, and how they met. Camille rushed to the art store the afternoon of the reception to put black backing on the posters and make them look professional.
I had great help--Dave strung lanterns throughout the reception hall and supervised the rental people in setting up tables and chairs. The night before the reception, Mike and Jonny went with Dave to help set up. Camille worked like a dervish to set up and take down, and was hostess of the reception hall while Dave and I greeted friends on the front steps.
Julie Monson and the Petty's and Lori--it was wonderful to have good friends to help make this fancy, happy event happen.









No comments:
Post a Comment