Thursday, September 16, 2021

Carlsbad Reunion: USS Midway, Point Loma, Coronado Beach, and Sam's Party

Our 10 a.m. tour of the USS Midway on July 5, 2021 had the biggest turnout of any special event during the reunion, other than the Padres baseball game on Friday night.  Dave and I love that aircraft carrier; this is the third time I have toured it.  Grant carried Eliza, the baby of Spencer and Naomi.
 


I especially enjoy the movie about the Battle of Midway in 1942, which was the turning point of WWII in the Pacific.  I also love the used book store, where I stock up on books about military history.  This time, I bought Stephen Ambrose’s “Citizen Soldiers,” about the last days of WWII, from D-day to V-Day Europe in May 1945.


There were momentos from the WWII era, as well as fighting gear.  This statue is based on the famous Life Magazine photograph of a sailor celebrating victory in WWII with a big kiss of a nurse during the victory parade in New York City.  Today, that might be called sexual harassment.....

Mike, Heidi, and Audrey explored the top deck of the USS Midway, with its huge collection of planes and helicopters.

Audrey was safely tethered, so she wouldn't escape into the crowds!



Each plane and helicopter had a sign next to it, identifying the type of aircraft and when it was used by the military.  


I spent my last hour listening to navy veterans give presentations on the top deck.  A special guest was the director of flight operations for the aircraft carrier that carried away American and South Vietnamese survivors when Saigon fell in 1973.  He told about one South Vietnamese pilot who packed his family into a Cessna and flew out to sea.  He circled the aircraft carrier and dropped paper notes, telling who he was and asking for permission to land.  He had never landed on an aircraft carrier before.  Men were stationed at the edge of the aircraft carrier to catch hold of the Cessna if it started rolling off the edge.  Luckily, the pilot and his family landed safely.


Part of the family drove from the USS Midway directly to Coronado Beach, but Dave and I drove to Point Loma first.  

I enjoyed the spectacular views of San Diego and Coronado from the Visitors Center, and also the small museum, which told about the discovery of the Pacific Ocean by the Spanish explorer, Balboa.


Jonny's family also visited Point Loma, including walking down the cliff to explore the tide pools.



We next visited the family encampment on Coronado Beach.  There were several beach umbrellas, a number of folding chairs, a tiny plastic pool for Eliza, and lots of beach towels with sleeping people.  
I later learned that some of my grandchildren wore t-shirts over their swimsuits when Dave and I were around because they were afraid the suits were too skimpy!  Emilie looks very cute in this two-piece.
Annie may look back on this lazy day with longing as she works hard as a missionary.

Henry, Sam, Thomas, and their cousins built sand castles, played in the surf, and lazed under the umbrellas.

Sam got buried in the sand and turned into a fish!

Jenny is expecting her fourth baby boy in October.

Steve luxuriated in the sun.


Sophie took a snooze, and then woke up.




Mike and Audrey enjoyed a sundae together at the Coronado beach cafe.


After dinner, we celebrated Sam’s eighth birthday.  Jonny bought a cake and we shared cake and ice cream with Sam.


Jonny also bought a pinata and filled it with both candy and dollar bills!  The children and teenagers in the family helped to bat it open.

Sam was one of the early hitters.


He was followed by his little brother, Henry.
Mia was a strong slugger.

Ezra was, too.
Sophia got in some strong strokes.
And Bryce hit the pinata hard enough so that the candy began falling out.
Sam came running to get a few pieces.
Annie made a direct hit.
And all the little kids came running!

No comments: