Our big home improvement project this year was landscaping our yard. We improved our backyard five years ago with terraces and a gazebo, but it didn't have the lush, "English country garden" look I wanted. Last fall, Kim Eden of Eden Landscaping drew up a new plan with hundreds of varieties of flowering trees, bushes, and plants cascading over each other. "That design expresses me!" I said with satisfaction.
Dave and I initially thought the plan would take two or three years to finish, but we got it all done this spring and summer. A contractor planted the 24 8-ft. junipers lining our back fence as wind-breakers, but we planted nearly everything else ourselves. One favorite spot is the gazebo, with its trailing sweet potato vines. I have 15 fruit trees and more than 50 rose bushes--an abundance that satisfies my "more is more" personality. Dave looks wistfully at the yards we pass filled with just a few conifers, some grasses, and maybe some gravel! He is a "less is more" kind of guy.
Our two peach trees yielded 25 quarts of fruit. Riches! Each quart is a great "bishop's wife" gift, and my trove reminds me of the boxes and boxes of peaches, cherries, applesauce, and pears that my parents canned each year when I was a little girl.
Tuesday, September 28, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment