Our dinner this week was really good. I cooked a big pot of paella, accompanied by an orange/avocado/almond salad and homemade, crusty bread. For appetizers, I cooked bacon-wrapped dates and Moorish-style pork kebabs, marinated in rich spices. "I thought the Moors didn't eat pork," a guest objected. "The cookbook says the Christians in medieval Spain took the Moors' spice blends and applied them to pork," I defended myself. That's sort of like Thai beef curry. Curry originated in India, but no self-respecting Indian Hindu would eat beef!
I have a great poster collection to accompany my ethnic dinners, as well as different table runners for each meal. This evening, I covered the table with Spanish embroidered shawls, with their very long fringes. The drink was sangria, made with a mix of fruit juices poured over sliced apples, oranges, lemons, and limes.

Dave likes food and company, but not all the fuss of my fancy preparations. Our compromise is that he can retire after dinner without having to help with the dishes!

Lilly is the youngest, at three weeks. Already, she is more alert, with dark eyes that search the room.
And Ellie is in the middle--just turned one. She is a sunny, friendly baby who especially adores her father, Spencer.








No comments:
Post a Comment