
Inside was the simple, one-room cabin that the
builders of the edifice thought was the cabin in which Lincoln was born. They later discovered that this was a
different cabin!
We next stopped at the Civil War Museum of the Western Theater at Barstown, 30 or 40 miles
away. The museum was small and virtually
empty on this Wednesday afternoon.
However, that emptiness was just great for roaming among the interesting
displays—Union and Rebel uniforms, pistols and rifles, yellowed photographs of
soldiers and their handwritten letters, and glass cases documenting the various
battles, generals, and campaign strategies.

In the past, the Civil War has been a muddle, for me,
of a few famous names, like Robert E. Lee, Gettysburg, Sherman, and
Appomattox, but no coherent picture of the whole. I understood the Civil War better after
spending a couple of hours in this museum.
I also had greater sympathy for the many young men who fought in this brutal war, in which as many soldiers died from disease and their wounds as were killed in battle.Bardstown bills itself as "Museum City", with a number of collections. I always like to leave a site or two unseen, so I have a reason to return!Our last stop in Kentucky was the Civil War battlefield at Perryville. Kentucky was a hotly contested border state. Lincoln famously said, “I would like God’s help, but I must have Kentucky’s.” The battle of Perrysville stopped the advance by the South into Kentucky and points further north. At one point, the South even occupied the capitol building of Kentucky, but then its forces were forced south again.
Battlefields are often ambiguous but evocative, providing
a sense of the futility of war.
We drove back to Indiana and ate at the German Café in
French Lick. I have an abiding love for German
food—rich, fattening, flavorful, and completely satisfying. We ordered the tasting menu, which
included a beef chunks in sauce, rotkohl, spaetzle, potato salad, and marinated
cucumbers—all the best German dishes!












No comments:
Post a Comment