Sunday, January 14, 2024

Cabo I: Sand All Around (7/1/23)

As gifts for the auction at our 2023 family reunion in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, I bought cloth bags printed with the saying, "Life is a Beach."  For seven days in July, the thirty-three lives of Dave, me, and our descendants did revolve around the beaches of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.  Day after day, family members, in varying groups, built sandcastles, played in the surf, and erected elaborate beach structures with beach umbrellas, towels, and chairs.  Cabo in July was steaming, but, as Jonny put it, "You don't feel the heat when you're in and out of the water."
Mike chose our accommodations, and they were gorgeous.  The Eberts and Flindts each had their own house, with swimming pool, and Mike, Jonny, their families, and Dad and I shared a condo at this resort nearby.  It was right on the beach.


As their families got settled, Jonny and Mike joined Dave and me for lunch at Flora Farms, one of Cabo's several farm restaurants.  It was Jonny's and Jenny's gift to Dave and me for Mothers and Fathers Day.  We spent a delightful hour or more together. Our pork chop and sea bass were cooked perfectly and served with fresh salad and vegetables from the farm.
A jazz quartet played as we ate lunch.  That will be a special memory, for me, of Cabo.

We also spent several hours at the beach.



Dave and I had to have the kids teach us how to enjoy the beach.



On Saturday night, Dave and I joined Mike, Heidi, and their two little ones, as well as Jenny, Sam, Henry, and Thomas, for a pirate boat ride in the Los Cabos harbor.  As we waited by the port, a gang of men dressed as pirates captured us and took us aboard their pirate ship. They served dinner from the hold, engaged in mock fights, and then recognized everyone with birthdays and anniversaries.  As the music played, Thomas danced! Mike said Audrey danced, too, but I didn't catch her in my pictures.





We shared sunset over the Cabo arch with other tour boats, but it was still an imposing sight.


No comments: