Saturday, January 13, 2024

Fjord Trip XIV: Copenhagen, Denmark

The Statenham docked in Copenhagen early in the morning, and passengers who were willing to carry their own bags could debark at 7 a.m.  Dave and I were off and away!  We had a whole day to sightsee in Copenhagen, before attending the temple at 7:30 p.m.  We dropped off our bags at our hotel and then  bought tickets to every bus and canal tour available.  One adventure was lunch at Tivoli, eating open-face Danish shrimp sandwiches.
The canal tours leave from a trendy area of Copenhagen, filled with cafes, shops, and bars.

Our canal boat was low and flat, and sailed under the many bridges.

We sailed into the harbor to see the industries by the water and the speedboats dashing by.
We passed the royal palace and the gazebo next to it.

We passed the modernistic opera house.
One of the distinctive buildings was this one--a museum, I believe.
On our bus tour, we stopped by the Little Mermaid, an iconic Copenhagen statue.  It illustrates a Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale.
I remembered Tivoli from when I was a little girl.  My dad loved the Tivoli amusement park as much as Kent, Scott, and I did.
Cafes surrounded the park, serving all sorts of food, including Danish open-faced sandwiches.
The buildings at Tivoli are fantasies based on exotic themes--Chinese, Turkish.  Some buildings house rides and others house restaurants and shops.  Guests to Tivoli eat picnics on the grass.



I am fascinated by Scandinavian ingenuity.  These are the latest in baby carriages!
And this is the ultimate in a bicycle-powered stroller.

We finished our sightseeing day with a visit to an exhibit on the Vikings at the National Museum.  It was excellent.  It included many Viking artifacts, and also dramatized tales of Viking military campaigns around the world.  One presentation was about a Viking ruler whose dream was to invade Istanbul!  His ships were burned in a battle at the Straits of Gibraltar.



In the evening, we attended an endowment session at the Copenhagen Temple.  It is a beautiful, spacious building, remodeled from meeting house long used by LDS members in Copenhagen.


Dave and I usually choose nondescript hotels--cheapest for reasonable quality.  Our Copenhagen hotel, near the airport, had a daring architectural design, soaring lobby, and excellent buffets..  It was a destination hotel--more than we needed for a quick overnight.

No comments: