Dave bought cherry tomatoes to eat as we drove. They were as sweet as strawberries.
We planned to take a tour of the granite quarry in Barre, Vermont, where large trucks look like tiny ants as they drive around the huge quarries. Alas, it was Labor Day weekend, and the quarry visitors center was locked tight.Our second choice, after the quarry tour, was visiting the Vermont Granite Museum. Much of the finest quality granite in the country, used for statues and cemetery monuments, comes from this area of Vermont.
We learned that many of the stone carvers came from Italy, where working in stone is an art (remember Michelangelo?). We met a retired stone carver, now in a wheel chair, who told about his career in Barre, Vermont.
My favorite display was of Ukrainian Easter eggs, which I collect. I carefully chose an egg to add to my collection.
I enjoyed talking with the artist about the different types and designs of eggs.
Wood products are typical of New England, and these wood mosaic cutting boards and boxes were beautiful.
I'm not sure what this man was selling, but he was very photogenic!
Ft. Ticonderoga was originally built to protect against the French during the French and Indian War. It became famous, though, through Ethan Allen's capture.
The guides were dressed in period dress. Originally, there was not one national uniform for the army. Different battalions chose their own colors and designs.
This female guide was in charge of making all the uniforms. "If they aren't handmade, they don't hang right," she said.
There are only a few bridges across Lake Champain. When we returned from Fort Ticonderoga to Vermont, we took a small car ferry.
"Essential New England," I thought, as I sat on the wide front porch of the Middlebury Inn, supported with pillars, and waited for my supper.
.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment