Friday, January 12, 2024

Fjord Trip XII: Kristiansand (6/6/23)

Kristiansand is at the southern tip of Norway, very near Denmark,  It is warmer than Norway's frosty north, and it considers itself "Norway's resort city."  Kristiansand was sunny and bright when we visited on June 6, 2023, and the flowers were blooming.  The harbors were full of motorboats for fishing and zipping around, and we visited several areas of second homes.
I enjoyed cruising then, and I enjoy it now!


As we left the harbor on our tour, we passed through the fish market.  I could have eaten everything they sold--shrimp, lobsters, and crab! 


Our next stop was a folklore museum with homes from different  historical periods.  There was also a scale model of a portion of Kristisnsand.  We could walk around and through it.
I loved the old farmhouses, some with sod growing on top.
The museum guide told us where and when each house came from, its architectural featrures, and what the people did who lived there.

In both Holland and Norway, we have been "cupboard" beds, built into a wall, with or without doors.
Besides the very basic log homes, we also visited more sophisticated, modern homes.  I enjoyed the distinctive Scandinavian features, such as carpetless floors!

Many homes had a family business sharing the space, such as this shoe shop or the art studio below.




We visited a fishing village which now contained mostly second homes, with owners from Oslo.  Most homes had boats.


Our guide told us to be sure to try the Hennig Olsen "softis", or soft ice cream cones rolled in nuts or candy.
So we did!
We finished the day with a walking tour of downtown Kristiansand.  The Kristiansand Cathedral, a late Gothic building, dominated the downtown, with a large square with cafes and fountains surrounding it.

I love Scandinavian architecture and decoration!
This is the first time I'd seen a McDonalds with Greek pillars!

No comments: